Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Missing Letter to the Editor, July 10, 1999, "Only One Side of Whiteclay Protests Told"

"There are two sides to every story. Living in a democracy, with our judicial system, we strive to make that happen. I would urge you to remember that there are two sides to the Whiteclay situation. I've read both accounts in The Grand Island Daily Independent and The Omaha World-Herald. I want you to be aware that they are only printing the white side. I have no American Indian blood or genes. I am not a wannabe. I subscribe to a newspaper that is published from Rapid City, S. D. called Indian Country Today. This past week, it ran an account of what really happened in Whiteclay, Nebraska, on June 26 (1999), the very first march that took place from Pine Ridge to Whiteclay. The local newspapers put the emphasis on the fact that 4 million cans of beer per year are sold in Whiteclay. The real concern among the American Indians that live on the Pine Ridge reservation is that two of their "brothers" were killed, and no one is making any effort to investigate these killings. Wilson Black Elk, Jr, 40, and Ronald Hard Heart, 39, were found in a culvert one and a half miles south of Pine Ridge near the Nebraska border. On July 3, (1999) there was another march from Pine Ridge to Whiteclay. It turned out to be "peaceful", according to The Grand Island Daily Independent and The Omaha World-Herald. Next week, the newspaper will tell the Indian side of the account. I already have one account from two of my Indian friends who joined the march on July 3 (1999). I will be looking forward to what Indian Country Today has to say about the incident. Mitakuye Oyasin (Lakota for "all my relatives"). "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home